Monday, July 13, 2009

Thank You/No Problem?

Did I miss the memo/e-mail/blog post/tweet that stated that the expression/phrase/statement, “No problem” supplanted, “You’re welcome” as the response to, “Thank you?” Think about it, when was the last time you said, “Thank you” and someone replied, “You are welcome” or even, “You’re welcome?” Obviously, I think about these things from time and I can count on one hand the number of times someone has replied with, “You’re welcome” when I have said, “Thank you” and I say, “Thank you” a lot.

I know in the big scheme of things this observation is not a big deal and I will not spend that much more time expounding on the subject, but this does irk me a bit. In our 24/7 instant gratification society, is saying, “You’re welcome” really too much to say? To me, it’s not a problem to say, “You’re welcome.” Replying with “You’re welcome” jut strikes me as classy and thoughtful. “Not a problem” strikes me like a convenience store clerk response. It’s quick, not much thought was put into it and what I just did for you was not a problem, but it might become one if you ask for something else. I know, this is just me being the somewhat crotchety old school guy that I am, but I’m just curious, how and when did “No problem” replace, “You’re welcome?”

No comments: